Companies need to develop a holistic understanding of employee needs and mood trends in order to maintain an employee-centric culture.
It is not surprising that the pandemic accelerated digital transformation in most companies – in some cases by months, in others by years. But the priorities of the employees have also shifted. According to a study cited by SHRM, employers have to be prepared for a veritable migration storm : According to this, 25% of employees want to submit their notice of termination as soon as the corona pandemic is over and there are more job vacancies again. The Achievers Workforce Institute presents similarly sobering facts about employee satisfaction:
- 46% of respondents feel less attached to their company.
- 42% say the corporate culture has changed for the worse since the beginning of the pandemic.
- Only 21% of the respondents are motivated and plan to stay with their current employer in the long term.
Companies need to develop a holistic understanding of employee needs and mood trends in order to maintain an employee-centric culture. Managers whose employees are exposed to more disruptions and challenges also need better virtual support options.
The economic benefits of an engaging employee experience
An engaging employee experience plays an important role in employee retention and motivation. It also strengthens the resilience, efficiency and productivity of the workforce. In order to master the challenges of the new world of work, a thorough examination of the employee experience in all its facets is essential – especially as the term is constantly evolving and becoming more complex. The personnel technologies used must also be carefully examined.
According to study results from Great Place to Work , companies can increase employee loyalty by reducing the risk of burnout by a factor of 20. To optimize the employee experience, organizations need to listen to their employees to understand their ever-changing needs. On the basis of this feedback, they then have to take practical measures and measure their effects in order to make course corrections if necessary and to focus on individual areas in which there is a need for improvement. Anyone who does not show any initiative here will be left behind by the competition in the long term.
In order for all employees to develop their full potential, a holistic employee experience is required that covers all levels of the hierarchy of needs:
- Motivate: Create an engaging experience for every employee from the first day at work
- Show compassion: Promote the health and wellbeing of employees
- Engage: Promote belonging and inclusion
- Promote independence: Identify career opportunities for reward and recognition
- Support: Accompanying employees on their individual career path
“Supporting employees means using innovative technology to turn their feedback into practical measures that can be tailored to their individual needs and preferences.”
Personnel development through engaging experiences
Supporting employees means using innovative technology to turn their feedback into practical measures that can be tailored to their individual needs and preferences. In this way, relevant moments that really count can be created on each of the five levels of the hierarchy of needs.
Use the rich contextual data and insights we gather about our employees to create personalized, meaningful actions that support them throughout their careers within the company. We use tailor-made processes where content, actions and approvals from different platforms flow together to offer our employees outstanding experiences.
In this way we recognize for example, if an employee does not feel they belong to the company or if their general well-being decreases. Based on this information, we can then put together individual workday journeys .
Here are a few examples of workday journeys recruiting measures:
- Show empathy: Journeys can be used to manage occupational safety measures, e.g. B. a corona protection measure or an immunization campaign. For example, our customer Sun Life has developed a journey prototype for employees returning to work to ensure their safety, a sense of belonging and support. Journeys can also be used to promote different aspects of an employee’s well-being, such as physical, psychological and financial well-being.
- Engage: In a journey in the area of belonging and inclusion, cross-functional information from Human Capital Management (HCM) and external sources can flow together to provide comprehensive support to employees .
- Support: A journey in the area of career and performance can provide tailored information as a basis for fruitful career discussions. Our client use our tools to invite employees who have worked for a period of time for a check-in interview. “We used journeys to set up annual career talks between managers and employees. This has increased the proportion of employees who say: ‘I am important to my company’. Our tool has helped us improve our employee engagement through personalized experiences. “
What is possible with technology-based staff development
But how do we know which journeys make sense for our workmates and which information we should include in the process?
As part of the Best Workday Survey , they conduct weekly employee surveys that provide us with helpful insights. And since Peakon is part of Workday , they’ve been able to listen even better to their employees to identify mood trends and really understand what they need.
For example, let’s say we find that a certain percentage of employees do not want to return to work. In this case, we need more information to understand what exactly is making them uncomfortable. Is it a work-life balance issue? Do you have to take on new care responsibilities ? Do you have concerns about the hygiene concept in a building that we share with other tenants? With the help of Peakon, we can determine the reasons for such concerns in real time and use this information to develop specific workday journeys.
In addition to the selective feedback that we collect within a certain period of time, we can use intelligent feedback technology to carry out real-time-based pulse surveys and thus get an accurate picture of the working atmosphere. In the event of problems, we can take countermeasures and make course corrections, especially since we continuously monitor our progress.
With the help of innovative technologies, we have succeeded in improving the employee experience and responding to the specific needs of our employees in order to provide them with comprehensive support in an increasingly complex world.
Share other examples of diversity and inclusion or other trends in the comments to spark new ideas on others and like/share if you enjoyed this article.